It's good to know and FAQs

We asked our students what is it they would like to have known before they became OHP students. The questions they provided are interesting and diverse. From these questions we have created the "it's good to know" series of information leaflets that we hope it will help future students make more informed decisions around studying OHPs.

Its good to know Leaflets Series

N1 Thinking about studying Dentistry, Dental Hygiene
N2 Thinking about studying Dentistry
N2a Thinking about studying Dental Hygiene
N3 Oral Health Professional Team
N4 Clinical Environment
N5 International student mobility


We have also compiled some frequently asked questions identified by current oral health professional students. FAQs are organized into subcategories, why not explore this by clicking in the tabs below.

The term Dentist is a protected title within the EU. This means the skills and competences needed to graduate are predefined in the EU's Professional Qualifications Directive. The aim of this directive is to allow free movement of goods and services. In theory this means if you qualify in one country you can practice in many.  However, you need to be aware that some countries may require you to demonstrate language and other competence and, in some cases, regardless of where you graduate you are also required to do a state examination before you can practice.

Hint: Check out the regulatory requirements for each country if this is an important issue for you. Be aware that this can change due to political and other influences. It is always good to check if your country has an agreement in place with the country you intent to practice in or if there are any extra specific requirements that you will need.

While the overarching graduating competences are similar, how these are delivered and assessed can vary considerably from country to country and even university to university.

Hint: Visit various report cards on the O-Health-Edu data hub and pay particular attention to terms such as integrated or discipline curriculum, facilities on site, and methods of teaching to learn more. It is also good to speak with previous recent students to hear more about their experiences.

This varies considerably and not all Universities or programs will offer you this. Generally, the Erasmus + exchange will occur in the semesters of a program, however it will depend of the agreement in place between the universities. There are other possibilities of abroad experiences during your study, such as voluntary, international exchange…

Hint: If studying abroad is important for you, you should visit report cards on the O-Health-Edu data hub before applying. Remember the rules and regulations around exchange can change during your programme also.

What countries you can take an Erasmus + module as part of your OHE program varies considerably between country and University. Erasmus+ requires Universities to have agreements in place. If this is a feature of your study programme it is very likely they will publish this on their website. You can start by checking out the schools report card on the O-Health-Edu datahub.

Hint: Not all programs offer Erasmus + exchange. If this is an important part of your studies for you then we recommend you fully assess the programme before applying. Check the websites and if necessary contact the schools admission system.

The fees you pay will vary from country to country and where you wish to study in a public of private institutions. Fees may apply for registration but also for the acquisition of specific materials for practical work and/or clinical activities.

Fees Whether the fees you or your family pay are tax deductible will depend on the tax payers location and rules and regulation applicable there.

Hint: Visit various report cards on the O-Health-Edu data hub and pay particular attention to fees section.